Post – Operative Instructions following a Biopsy
- A small amount of bleeding is to be expected following biopsy surgery.
- Bite down on the oral gauze pack for at least 10 minutes. If bleeding continues, wipe out excess blood from the mouth (do not spit) and bite down on a new piece of folded gauze with firm pressure for an additional 10 minutes. Repeat this until the bleeding stops. A moistened black tea bag (not herbal) may also be placed on the surgical site to help stop the bleeding. If bleeding is excessive and won’t subside, please contact our office.
- DO NOT RINSE OR SPIT FOR THE FIRST 24 HOURS.
- May remain in your system for 12 to 24 hours.
- You may experience fatigue, dizziness or lack of coordination.
- Do not drive, exercise or participate in strenuous activities for 24 hours.
- Local anesthetic is used after you are asleep to numb the area in your mouth where the biopsy is being done. Be aware that when this wears off, you may experience increased pain.
- Some discomfort may be expected for several days following surgery. For moderate pain Ibuprofen, Motrin or Advil may be used. You may take 2 to 4 (200 mg) tablets every 4 to 6 hours.
- For severe pain, take the pain medication as prescribed. The prescribed pain medication will make you groggy and will slow down your reflexes. Do not drive an automobile or work around machinery. Avoid alcoholic beverages. Pain and discomfort following surgery should subside more and more everyday. Discomfort may last up to 1 week. If pain last longer, please contact our office.
- Swelling and some bruising can be expected.
- Swelling will reach its peak 48 hours after the surgery.
- ICE for the first 48 hours to minimize swelling. (20 minutes on / 20 minutes off)
- HEAT after 48 hours to relieve stiff and achy muscles.
- You may resume brushing your teeth with a soft toothbrush the day following surgery but avoid brushing the surgical area.
- 24 hours following surgery, you should start warm salt water rinses (1/2 teaspoon of salt to an 8oz glass of warm water) after every meal and before bedtime.
- DO NOT SMOKE FOR 1 WEEK.
- If sutures were required they will usually dissolve within 5-7 days. Some sutures used during biopsy procedures may also take 2-4 weeks to dissolve.
- Be sure to drink a lot of fluids. DO NOT DRINK WITH A STRAW FOR 1 WEEK.
- NO CARBONATED BEVERAGES FOR THE FIRST 24 HOURS.
- You will need to limit yourself to soft diet for several days.
- DO NOT DRINK OR EAT HOT FOODS/LIQUIDS FOR THE FIRST 24 HOURS.
- Refrain from eating popcorn, chips or sharp foods that might injure the surgical area.
- Sometimes pain medication may cause constipation. It is important to drink fluids and eat foods high in fiber to prevent constipation. You make also take an over the counter stool softener.
Follow up Appointment
- You will be scheduled for a follow up appointment 7-10 days following the surgery. At this time we will review any biopsy results with you.